In my role as Cartoonists Rights Network International's Northern Europe representative I'm delighted and deeply honoured to have been invited to participate in La Presse en Liberté, a diverse programme of events organised to coincide with UNESCO's colloquium on Journalism Under Fire.
On Monday the 27th of March I'll participate in a round table discussion on press cartooning and its future alongside:
- His Excellency Monsieur Jean-Frédéric Jauslin, Swiss Ambassador to UNESCO
- His Excellency Monsieur Laurent Stéfanini, French Ambassador to UNESCO
- Monsieur Gérard Vandenbroucke, president of la Salon International de la Caricature, du Dessin de Presse et d’Humour, Saint-Just-le-Martel; president of la Communauté d'agglomération Limoges Métropole; first vice-president of la Conseil régional de Nouvelle-Aquitaine
- Madame Chloé Verlhac, editor and spouse of the late Charlie Hebdo cartoonist Tignous
- Mykaïa and Pacman, cartoonists and members of Cartooning for Peace
- Pinter, cartoonist for l'Orient du Jour
- Trax, cartoonist and member of France-Cartoons
- Monsieur Eric Chol, director of Courier International
- Monsieur Pascal Pellegrino, director of la Maison du Dessin de Presse de Morges
- Monsieur Alain Schott, press historian and specialist on illustration
This is one of four such discussion sessions happening during the course of the week in addition to an exhibition of historic first issues of various French newspapers and magazines as well as a Café de la Presse every morning and afternoon.
All are open to the public but attendance at the talks requires reservation via the web links above.
On their website the organisers describe their aspirations for the event as follows: "Much more than a conference or symposium, it is therefore a question of opening a debate within the UNESCO headquarters in Paris. This round table is meant to be there to exchange opinions, to address questions and draw, hopefully, even modestly, some conclusions in these tormented times."
I look forward to contributing and am grateful to Jérôme Liniger and Nicolas Jacquette at Studio-Irresistible and all concerned with the organisation of this event.